Social media engages various interactive digital communication devices to enable both the creation and distribution of information.
Users can create online communities to share a varied type of information including news, ideas, or personal messages, either by text, images, photographs or videos. Although the word ‘social’ would infer that the process is purely for social use, this media has developed to the point where it has become a valuable communication tool for both business and the consumer. Social Media is now a growing route to market, enabling companies to engage in critical activities such as: –
- Brand exposure
- Building and managing your reputation
- Connecting with like-minded business/consumer contacts
- Driving traffic to your website and blogs
- Distributing relevant and up-to-date news, such as new products etc.
- Being seen as both ‘active’ and ‘current’ in your approach to business
Social media activities are based on a variety of platforms that each have a specific relevance to us, for example: –
- Facebook, LinkedIn and Google+ – for social and business networking
- Twitter – for microblogging
- Snapchat, Instagram and Pinterest – for photograph sharing
- YouTube, Facebook Live, and Vimeo – for video sharing
As we are all very much aware through the more standard media, when social media is done badly, or with incorrect motives, it can be as damaging in some areas as much as it can be extremely positive and effective when used correctly. For this reason alone, it is invaluable to discuss your social media strategy with professionals, who will ensure that you follow good guidelines and that social media is used effectively to optimize your return on investment.