There is a saying about marketing consultants that states, a consultant is someone who borrows your watch to tell you what time it is. This statement may make us smile, but we should recognise that there’s actually an element of truth to it.
When someone points out a clear observation about marketing, there are a few common responses, these are often: –
– “That’s so obvious, I should have seen this”.
– “I already know what you are saying, we have known this for a while”.
What is interesting to know is if they already knew what marketing actions were required, then why haven’t they acted on it?
The marketing consultancy process
There are three regular scenarios during the marketing consultancy process: –
- The business owner doesn’t see a clear way forward and needs help to start at stage one
- The business owner knows the essence of what needs to be done, but doesn’t know the right process
- The business owner does know what needs to be done in part, but isn’t really focused on doing it
These scenarios show that many businesses fail to put their current marketing activity into action in the correct way. To quote a much-loved statement from the late Les Dawson when referring to his piano playing prowess, “I play all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order!”.
The value of good marketing consultancy needs to be recognized and embraced as a vital process if you want to grow your business. Doing the right things and doing them in the right order is critical if you want to benefit from a return on investment. To put this into perspective, I often use two analogies that illustrate the value of marketing consultancy: –
- Few people would engage on a long journey without first engaging their SAT NAV to guide every step of the way – the alternative is getting lost on the journey!
- Not many people would take pharmaceutical tablets without first consulting a qualified physician for diagnosis and advice – the consequence could be irreparable damage.
Surprisingly, it’s not uncommon for companies to commit to a healthy marketing budget without proven and experienced advice. The consequence – little or no return on their investment. A proven marketing consultant is vital in the production and execution of a clear achievable marketing strategy. The right marketing consultant for your company will get to know you, your company, and your ambitions. They will be a long term, integral part of your company’s growth and success. Most importantly, they will understand where you are, and where you want to be, and they will help you to get there!
To discuss your marketing strategy then call David Antrobus Marketing today
on +44 (0)1925 909 050.